Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Looking Ahead to Lust Weekend

Everyone I Have Ever Slept With





As part of Lust Weekend at the Performa 09 Festival in New York, Tracey Emin will be reading from her collection of poems, Those Who Suffer Love, and her autobiography, Strangeland. One of the YBAs (Young British Artists) who was part of Charles Saatchi's Sensation exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum of Art that caused a fooferaw here in New York, she is not surprisingly known for her "sensational" artwork such as the tent above and My Bed, an installation of her own dirty and unmade bed that consisted of detritus such as body secretions, condoms and other junk that collected around her bed when she stayed in it for a while while having feelings of suicidal depression. At first I thought she was one of those artists that wants to shock you for the sake of shocking you. But then I heard her speak, and I think the ideas behind her work are sound and compelling. Listen for yourself here:





For more news about Performa 09, or other notable happenings around new york, check out my listings, Notable New York, at the Rumpus.

2 comments:

alan said...

I think I read this work was destroyed in a fire a few years back. I like London accents.

Egg Off-Kilter said...

yes! It was. Tracey Emin's accent is interesting. Listening to her, I almost have an image of the neighborhood she grew up in.